The call for SIO 2024 Abstracts is now open, click the button below to go to the Abstract Submission Portal and submit your research for the 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting.
DEADLINE NOW EXTENDED - ALL APPLICATIONS DUE MONDAY, OCTOBER 9 at MIDNIGHT EST
Key Dates and Deadlines
- Call for abstracts opens: 31 August 2023
- Call for abstracts closes: 9 October 2023
- Abstract review: 12-20 October 2023
- Abstract notifications: Week of 30 October 2023
- Basic Science
- Liver Metastases
* This category is reserved for industry-developed research and/or updates submitted by corporate entities. These abstracts will be considered separately from research developed by primary investigators and academic teams.
Types of Abstract Submissions
- Scientific Oral Abstracts: Abstracts submitted and accepted as this type will be presented by the presenting author during the one of the two plenary afternoon oral abstract sessions.
- Discovery Theater Presentations: Abstracts submitted and accepted as this type will be presented by the presenting author during one of the three Discovery Theater poster presentation sessions.
- Science and Industry Reception Presentation (NEW): Abstracts submitted and accepted as this type will be presented on Friday, 26 January during the science and industry reception.
- E-posters: Abstracts submitted and accepted as this type will be displayed on as virtual e-posters at the 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting in Long Beach, California. Accepted e-posters will not have dedicated presentation times, rather authors are encouraged to showcase their e-posters throughout the meeting during dedicated hours throughout the conference.
The abstract character limit is 4,000 with a minimum requirement of 50 characters. Please ensure that your submission is indicative of significant scientific work, a major update, and/or significant follow-up on established procedures and/or research. All abstract submissions are required to contain the following information for consideration and review:
- Abstract Title
- Materials and Methods
Abstract Policies and Procedures
Trials in Progress Policy
The Trials in Progress Category provides a unique opportunity for researchers to present ongoing trials at the SIO Annual Scientific Meeting.
Any phase (I, II, or III) trial that is ongoing, started enrolling patients or has completely enrolled, and has not yet reached prespecified endpoints for analysis may be considered for inclusion in the Trials in Progress submission category. Inclusion of results would be at the discretion of investigators. Presentation of preliminary results is not required for submission or acceptance.
All submissions will be reviewed for appropriateness by the SIO Annual Scientific Meeting Planning Committee. Accepted submissions will be notified of their presentation type.
Abstract Submissions for Trials in Progress should include Background, Methods, and Preliminary Results (optional, not required for acceptance):
- Scientific background/rationale for the trial
- Correlative studies of particular interest
- Trial design and statistical methods
- Treatment or intervention planned
- Major eligibility criteria
- Clinical trial registration number (required)
- Enrollment status
Preliminary Results (not required for acceptance):
- Demographic, safety, and preliminary efficacy data (if appropriate for presentation).
What is not permissible in a Trials in Progress Abstract Submission:
- Proprietary drug name
- Information about pricing, fees, or reimbursement related to trial participation
Late-Breaking Abstract Policy
The SIO late-breaking abstract policy allows for the submission of late-breaking data and research which must contain information with results that were not yet discovered or available on the regular abstract submission deadline of 9 October 2023 (11:59 pm EST). Submissions for late-breaking abstracts will be announced following the regular abstract submission deadline and will close on 5 January 2024.
Notification regarding late-breaking abstract’s acceptance or rejection will be sent to the submitter by 12 January 2024. Late-breaking abstracts should contain new information, which may include either:
- Results which were not fully known or available on the regular submission deadline
- Work that has been submitted for publication
Prior Presentation/Publication Abstract Submission Policy
SIO does not restrict the submission of abstracts that have been presented at prior meetings, or published prior to the 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting. If your submission has been presented prior to the 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting, please ensure you are adhering to the policies and procedures of the respective organization. SIO reserves the right to assign priority scoring to debut abstracts presentations.
Embargo Policy and Information
All 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts will be made public at the start of the conference, Thursday, 25 January 2024 at 7:00 am PST. Once an abstract has been made public, you may distribute a press release. SIO reserves the right to distribute press releases in advance of the release date above regarding submitted and accepted notable research.
Resubmission Policy for SIO Abstracts to Other Meetings
The process by which SIO Abstracts are submitted to other meetings is governed by the other meeting organizer. SIO does not prohibit the submission of previously accepted abstracts to other meetings however, it is strongly encouraged that submitting authors notify meeting organizers of their previous acceptance/presentation to SIO meetings.
Withdrawals and No-Show Policy
Acceptance of an abstract for the following: Scientific Oral Abstract Presentations or Discovery Theater Presentations obligates the author to attend the 2024 Annual Scientific Meeting to present in person. If circumstances prevent the presenting author’s attendance, the author must arrange for the work to be presented by a substitute, preferably a co-author. If you wish to withdraw your abstract, you must submit your request in writing by Tuesday, 2 January 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the abstract title and presenting author’s name.
On rare occasions, selected presenters fail to show up without notifying the Society of Interventional Oncology. When presenters do not attend as planned, the efforts of the Scientific Chair and Program Committee to provide a quality program are diminished, significant costs are imposed, and the audience is unnecessarily disappointed. SIO staff will audit abstracts for no-shows. Failure to comply with these policies may result in ineligibility for participation in future SIO meetings.
Contact SIO at email@example.com or call (202) 367-1164.